June 5, 2023 —As a not-for-profit Life Plan Community, Kendal on Hudson makes giving back a primary focus in all we do. Built on a foundation of Quaker values and principles, we believe in inclusivity and making a positive impact in our community.
We are proud of the home we have created for seniors, as well as the social accountability of our community, which permeates everything we do. Last year, we contributed $90,054 through direct gifts to 29 local nonprofit organizations, five individual scholarship winners, and two in-kind donations.
Keep reading to learn more about all the ways we’re giving back and supporting the community, both right here at Kendal on Hudson and throughout our region.
Our Philanthropic Landscape
There are three pillars to the philanthropic landscape at Kendal on Hudson: the board philanthropy committee, the administration social accountability fund, and the residents association local charities committee.
Board Philanthropy Committee
The committee’s philanthropic giving comprises four areas of focus . All dollars raised or donated benefit the below initiatives:
- Resident wellness: fitness classes, music and art therapy, Tuesday morning and Friday morning clubs (weekly programs for residents with cognitive challenges)
- Staff support: professional development, tuition assistance for continuing education, emergency assistance for times of crisis
- Resident assistance: financial support for Lifecare residents who are experiencing financial hardship through no fault of their own
- Outreach beyond Kendal on Hudson: grants to community-based organizations that positively impact the lives of residents, and grants to students pursuing nursing careers
Administration Social Accountability Fund
The social accountability fund meets Kendal on Hudson’s corporate responsibility as a 501(c)(3) organization. The expectation is to meet needs in our local community that taxes would otherwise be available to fund. Requests for funds from the social accountability fund are reviewed by the staff operations team.
Recently, funds were used to fill 160 backpacks with necessary school supplies for local students in grades 1-8. Additional items for pre-K and kindergarten students were provided to The Foundation for the Public Schools of the Tarrytowns, which was thankful for this much-needed assistance.
Residents Association Local Charities Committee
Since Kendal on Hudson’s 2005 opening, the residents association local charities committee has provided grants to worthy nonprofit organizations serving residents of Sleepy Hollow and Tarrytown. Grants were made to 17 local organizations in response to specific proposals.
Volunteerism is a popular activity among those who live and work at Kendal on Hudson. Residents give their time and talents to a diverse range of local, state and national organizations. These initiatives provide our community with a rich understanding of opportunities that broaden and deepen our institutional engagement with the community at large. Additionally, these volunteer efforts serve as a visible display of the commitment residents have to making a difference.
Kendal on Hudson residents and staff at the Walk to End Alzheimer’s®
Our Impact on the Local Community
Our priority is to effect positive change in the community, and you can join us in this effort. If you’re considering making a gift to Kendal on Hudson, your dollars will be helping in the following ways:
- Providing financial support to residents who, through no fault of their own, find themselves unable to meet their monthly fees.
- Enabling enhancements to the health center, in the context of our special commitment to meeting the needs of the “frailest among us” and to support wellness programs for our community.
- Assisting Kendal staff in times of family crises and emergencies, and to offer them expanded education and professional advancement that may not otherwise be affordable.
- Funding grant-making programs, services and research that seek to address and enhance healthy aging in the wider community. Kendal works collaboratively with the Resident Council, which has focused on social needs in the local area in its charitable activities.
Join with seniors who are making a difference
Kendal on Hudson provides a vibrant, active and socially engaged older adult lifestyle on our 25-acre campus next to the historic Hudson River. As the only Lifecare community in Westchester County, we offer Independent Living and four levels of service for our residents, including Assisted Living, Memory Support, Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation.
Are you interested in learning more about senior living in a community that’s making an impact? Contact us today to learn more.