August 12, 2020
During difficult times, many people try to find some ways to alleviate their stress, manage their emotions and simply feel better about everything that’s going on in their world. From creative outlets and therapies to connecting with friends and family and focusing on fitness, there are a number of ways to boost your mood and make your days happier. However, in times like these when it may be harder to connect with family and friends, find creative outlets or even get outside to enjoy the surrounding area and all there is to do, you may need to get a little more creative. Fortunately, there are plenty of ways to boost your mood through fitness and exercise!
“We all know how good it feels when we get up, get active and get our bodies moving,” says Pamela Klapproth, CEO at Kendal on Hudson, the only true Lifecare Community in Westchester County. “In a basic sense, this is because exercise often creates a sense of well-being, is a wonderful form of self-care and has an array of positive effects on mental health and wellness. Scientifically, though, it’s much more than that. According to an article from Harvard University, exercise reduces levels of adrenaline and cortisol, better known as the body’s stress hormones. Instead, it stimulates the body’s production of endorphins, whose chemicals help to provide you with natural painkillers, mood elevators and more. This is why we encourage seniors to not only exercise right now, but also every day they can!”
How Exercise Can Help to Boost Your Mood
The benefits of exercise are far-reaching. If you’re looking for a way to boost your mood or begin living a healthier lifestyle, consider some of the following benefits of exercise that Harvard Health Publishing shares.
- It provides a feeling of optimism and calm. Exercise
can help to clear the mind, occupy your thoughts and provide an outlet for
stress. This helps you dwell less on what’s going on around you and more on how
you can improve yourself, your situation and your life. Not only does this help
to calm racing thoughts, but it can help you feel more of a sense of control,
peace, relaxation and optimism.
- Self-image becomes improved. The more active
we are, the better we feel about ourselves. From increased self-confidence and
strength to getting in better shape, losing some fat and gaining stamina, it’s
easy to feel more pride, self-worth and have a better body image when we
- Energy and vigor will increase. The more in
shape we are, the more energetic and disciplined we become. This can help us
with achieving lifestyle goals, succeeding in a number of tasks, increasing
activity levels, boosting happiness and so much more.
- It decreases anxiety and depression. Because of this release of endorphins, many people find that exercise can improve your mood by decreasing anxiety, depression and other mental health issues. This is especially important right now as people are remaining at home, limiting interactions with others and spending lots of time by themselves.
Exercise Your Way to Boosted Happiness
There is an array of ways to get active and experience all the benefits that exercise can provide. Try some of the following ideas and enjoy the next steps to better health!
- Go for a walk, jog or run outside – but be sure to stay safely away from others
- Try a workout video on a streaming service such as YouTube
- If you like lifting weights but don’t have any, try using household items like cans of soup, water bottles, bags of potatoes or anything else you can find
- Take up yoga or tai chi to enjoy an array of benefits from increased strength, flexibility and a clearer mind
- Purchase a Wii to take advantage of Wii Fit and other fitness programs, and when you can connect with friends and family again, host a game night with other games you purchase
To learn more about how exercise can help to boost your happiness as well as your overall health or to get some exercise ideas, contact the team at Kendal on Hudson. We would be happy to share more information and how our lifestyle enhances life for our residents each day! Contact us today at 914-922-1011.
Together, Transforming the Experience of Aging.®
Founded on Quaker principles and guided by our values and practices, Kendal on Hudson provides a vibrant, active and social senior lifestyle on our 25-acre campus next to the historic Hudson River. As the only Lifecare community in Westchester County, we offer four levels of service for our residents: Independent Living, Assisted Living, Memory Support and Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Services.
Kendal on Hudson is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization led by a volunteer Board of Directors. Kendal on Hudson is an affiliate of The Kendal Corporation, a system of communities and services for older people based in Kennett Square, PA. We support diversity, inclusiveness, and independence and support the values and practices of Kendal by remaining focused on healthy aging. Located in Sleepy Hollow, New York, just 35 miles from New York City, we offer a vibrant lifestyle, cultural programs, continued learning and health care for life.
For more information, please call 914-922-1011.