April 28, 2020 —
People often say that winter is the most wonderful time of the year, and often, it is. From beautiful snow showers, family gatherings and winter holidays, to festive meals, bountiful traditions and more, the season is truly great. For seniors, however, it can be a little more troublesome.
“The snow, ice and weather can cause a lot of problems for seniors who are still living in their own home. Not only can it be a potential health threat, but it’s a pain to deal with,” says Lisa Wacht, Health Services Director of Kendal® on Hudson, the only true Life Care community in Westchester County. “No one wants to wake up in the morning to unexpected snow and shovel the sidewalk, have to cancel plans with friends because the weather is so bad or be worried about not being able to do what you want to do.”
“At Kendal on Hudson, you never have to think twice. Everything is waiting here for you. From maintenance and housekeeping to an array of programming and activities and services and amenities right on site. It’s one of the reasons many seniors wish they’d moved sooner.”
5 Reasons to Downsize Before Winter Begins
Winter is the perfect time to make a move. Consider some of the following reasons to consider downsizing before the cold hits.
- Take away the dread of shoveling. At an Independent Living community, we take care of all the hard work for you so you can enjoy spending your days doing what you please. We take care of shoveling, plowing, de-icing and more. When you live at home, it can be much more dreadful to bundle up, get outside and do work. It not only takes a lot of energy, but it takes up your free time, too.
- Enjoy the festivities with old and new friends. There’s so much to do and look forward to at Kendal on Hudson. From exciting events just outside your door to events awaiting you within the surrounding community, there are plenty of opportunities to enjoy the holidays and festivities with both new and old friends. Get to know new people by trying something new. Consider volunteering and spreading holiday cheer with those around you. Invite the grandchildren for a fun day. The choices are endless. When seniors live at home, winter can be isolating. People don’t like to drive in bad weather and events often get canceled because of harsh conditions. The season soon becomes depressing as a result.
- Take the stress away of planning holiday meals and get-togethers. Shopping for holiday meals, figuring out the best way to travel and packing can be daunting. At an Independent Living community such as Kendal on Hudson, seniors don’t need to worry about this because we can plan everything for you. Invite your friends and family to any of our events or enjoy holiday-themed dinners with them in our community. Want to make it a private affair? Contact our dining team and see how we can cater your special dinner.
- Enjoy everything you need on site. Do you go to the gym regularly? Have doctor’s visits scheduled throughout the winter months? Do you do weekly grocery shopping? Bad weather can make this hard to do. Don’t let it. At Kendal on Hudson, you can enjoy our on-site fitness center, transportation to doctors’ visits and delicious meals made for you.
- Go to festivals and shop without needing to think about transportation. Worries about driving in winter weather disappear at Kendal on Hudson. With scheduled transportation, our residents can visit winter festivals, go to the theatre or go to New York City on the Metro-North Railroad.
Schedule a visit at Kendal on Hudson to discover all the winter season has to offer our residents. Simply contact us today by calling 866-358-5802.
Together, Transforming the Experience of Aging.®
Founded on Quaker principles and guided by our values and practices, Kendal® on Hudson provides a vibrant, active and social senior lifestyle on our 25-acre campus next to the historic Hudson River. As the only Lifecare community in Westchester County, we offer four levels of service for our residents: Independent Living, Assisted Living, Memory Support and Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Services.
Kendal on Hudson is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization led by a volunteer Board of Directors. Kendal on Hudson is an affiliate of The Kendal Corporation, a system of communities and services for older people based in Kennett Square, PA. We support diversity, inclusiveness, and independence and support the values and practices of Kendal by remaining focused on healthy aging. Located in Sleepy Hollow, New York, just 35 miles from New York City, we offer a vibrant lifestyle, cultural programs, continued learning and health care for life.
For more information, please call 866-358-5802.