April 18, 2022 —
One of the greatest parts of retirement living, other than freeing yourself from all the household chores, duties and responsibilities, is having more opportunity to do other things. Whether you are deciding to volunteer, pick up a new hobby, make new friends or simply spend more time doing whatever you enjoy, the opportunities to enhance your social life and make friends is endless.
“Retirement living provides an array of social opportunities, which is beneficial for older adults,” says Jim Antonucci, CEO of Kendal on Hudson, the only true Lifecare community in Westchester County. “Not only can socialization reduce stress and the risk of depression, but it can also enhance self-esteem and increase lifespan. It’s also common for those with more active social lives to be more physically active, more fit and have better cognitive function. Retirement living simply makes it easier to make connections and build relationships which can benefit lives for years to come.”
Opportunities for Socialization
At Kendal on Hudson, social lives thrive! There are a multitude of ways that residents can socially interact, including:
- Recreational and wellness programs. Fitness is a big component of our lifestyle, and it’s easy to meet many like-minded individuals in our professionally staffed fitness center. Classes such as tai chi, yoga, Pilates, stretching, balancing and more are also held, and afterwards residents can be found grabbing a coffee or delicious snack together.
- Resident committees. Here, our residents are in control. Friends and residents gather on committees and plan activities, classes and lectures, social events, trips and more. Many times, these groups focus on one common interest. With over 30 committees focusing on education, horticulture, trips, advocacy and art, there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
- Educational opportunities. Many residents strive to continue their educational journeys as long as they can. Thanks to our partnership with Pace University, this is able to be achieved not only within our community, but in the classroom as well. Residents serve as mentors to college students and attend classes at the university and many hold classes and lectures within our community, allowing for their talents to be shared and even more connections to be made.
- Outings. Trips are consistently planned and organized by our residents. Groups of residents often enjoy going into New York City to see shows, go shopping, enjoy the outdoors and more. It’s very hard to go on a trip and not find someone who has some common interests!
- Volunteering. Many residents find that volunteering for a cause they are passionate about brings them even more social opportunities. Whether they prefer the pet shelter and companionship of furry friends or volunteer in an array of other ways, the ability to make friends and acquaintances is always prevalent.
We believe social opportunities truly enhance and help to transform the experience of aging. It’s important for residents to feel as though they belong, their talents are appreciated and that their unique personality resonates with others. We find that each person’s diverse experiences, cultural backgrounds and perspectives are a big part of what makes our community as great as it is.
Discover how we can transform your experience of aging. Contact us today to learn more at 914-922-1000.
Together, Transforming the Experience of Aging®.
Founded on Quaker principles and guided by our values and practices, Kendal® on Hudson provides a vibrant, active and social senior lifestyle on our 25-acre campus next to the historic Hudson River. As the only Life Plan community in Westchester County, we offer four levels of service for our residents: Independent Living, Assisted Living, Memory Support and Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Services.
Kendal on Hudson is a not-for-profit 501 (c)(3) organization led by a volunteer Board of Directors. Kendal on Hudson is an affiliate of The Kendal Corporation, a system of communities and services for older people based in Kennett Square, PA. We support diversity, inclusiveness, and independence and support the values and practices of Kendal by remaining focused on healthy aging. Located in Sleepy Hollow, New York, just 35 miles from New York City, we offer a vibrant lifestyle, cultural programs, continued learning and health care for life.
For more information, please call 914-922-1000.