March 29, 2021
Limited Adult Care Facility Visitation (COVID-19)
To facilitate Adult Care Facility (i.e. Assisted Living Residence) person-centered visits which consider the residents’ physical, mental and psychosocial well-being and supports individual quality of life, while also considering the COVID-19 pandemic.
NOTE: Residents in isolation or observation, and residents with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 status, irrespective of vaccination status, should not have visitors outside of compassionate care or end-of-life situations.
It is the policy of Kendal on Hudson’s Adult Care Facility, comprised of Adirondack and Sunnyside, to facilitate visitation for residents in accordance with guidance released by the New York State Department of Health and the facility’s Infection Control Program. Visitation will, at all times, adhere to infection control core principles and best practices that reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission including, but not limited to:
- Screening of all who enter the facility to signs and symptoms of COVID-19 (e.g. temperature checks, questions about and observations of signs or symptoms), and denial of entry of those with signs or symptoms or those who have had close contact with someone with COVID-19 infection in the prior 14 days (regardless of the visitor’s vaccination status).
- Hand hygiene (use of alcohol-based hand rub is preferred).
- The use of face coverings or masks (covering mouth and nose).
- Social distancing of at least six feet between persons.
- Instructional signage throughout the facility and proper visitor education on COVID-19.
- Cleaning and disinfection of high frequency touched surfaces and in designated visitation areas in the facility often and after each visit.
- Appropriate staff use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Visiting hours will be between 10am and 8pm, seven (7) days per week.
- Visits will be pre-scheduled through Kendal on Hudson’s Recreation Department. Reservations will be scheduled to ensure fair and equal access for all residents to receive visitors.
- Visits will be conducted in the following locations:
- For Adirondack: outdoors or in individual resident apartments
- For Sunnyside: outdoors in the Memory Garden or in the TV lounge
For Adirondack: available to two residents at any given time, 1 hour in duration; 2 guests per resident; reservations must be made
For Sunnyside: available to one resident at any given time, 1 hour in duration; 2 guests per resident; reservations must be made
For Adirondack: available to an unlimited number of residents at any given time, for an unlimited amount of time; should inclement weather interfere, visit can be moved indoors if space allows and other reserved visits are not in progress
For Sunnyside: available to one resident at any given time, 1 hour in duration; 2 guests per resident; should inclement weather interfere, visit can be moved indoors if space allows and other reserved visits are not in progress
- Friends or family of Adirondack or Sunnyside residents interested in visiting should call the Recreation Department at 914-922-1041. At the time of visit confirmation, the visitor(s) will be reminded of visitor expectations and requirements.
- Visit Ambassadors will be assigned to greet visitors at the Kendal main entrance, ensure that COVID-19 screening has been completed and that the visitor(s) have donned Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for the visit. A handbook and/or fact sheet including core principles of infection control and visit expectations will be provided upon initial screening to all visitors.
- The Visit Ambassador will ensure that visitors’ information is noted in the Visitation Log. Information will include
- The date and time of the visit
- First and last name of the visitor
- Street address of the visitor
- Daytime and evening telephone number
- Email address, if applicable
- Affirmation that the visitor cleared the screening requirements
- Upon completion of Procedural Points #1 and #2, the Visitor Ambassador will escort the visitor(s) to the designated visiting location. Outdoor visits will be encouraged whenever practicable.
- Visitors must remain in the designated visitation area for the duration of the visit. Should assistance be needed, staff should be signaled through the facility’s resident call system.
- Visitors observed to be unable to adhere to the core principles of COVID-19 infection prevention will be asked to leave and may be restricted from visiting in the future. Should this occur, facility staff will document this occurrence.
- To ensure proper social distancing and to minimize potential visit related exposures, staff will not provide care/services, except in an emergency, to residents in individual apartments while visitors are present. Should a resident need assistance from facility staff during the visit, guests will be asked to leave the immediate area.
- Alcohol-based hand sanitizer will be available during the visit. Common spaces used for visitation will be sanitized between visits by Visit Ambassadors.