August 10, 2020 —
Fitness is a crucial part of life, no matter what season. While it can be tempting to slack on fitness in the fall and winter seasons, there are plenty of ways to stay active and healthy, whether indoors or outdoors.
“At Kendal on Hudson, we focus on wellness and healthy living all year long, as do our residents,” says Kathy DiSomma, Wellness Director of Kendal® on Hudson, the only true Life Care community in Westchester County. “Whether we are enjoying various activities, working out in the gym, trying a new class or simply taking in the beauty of the outdoors, autumn is a wonderful time to exercise. If you or a loved one don’t yet have a routine, it is also a great time to start one. The weather is not too warm, the sights are beautiful, and it can also help keep off some of those holiday pounds!”
How to Stay Healthy During the Fall Season
If you aren’t sure of how you can stay fit and well during the fall, try some of the ideas that our residents take advantage of as often as they can.
- Take a walk out in the crisp fall air. One of the best things about autumn is the cool breeze, crunching leaves and the smell of the fall air. Take advantage of this and go for a walk, run, or even a hike outdoors. If you’re feeling more adventurous, Kendal on Hudson is located in Sleepy Hollow, and legend has it there are Sleepy Hollow Cemetery Day and Night Walking Tours!
- Enjoy the view from an indoor fitness center. If exercising outdoors isn’t your thing, consider finding a fitness center with a view like Kendal on Hudson offers. Here, residents can enjoy a scenic look at the Hudson River and the changing leaves.
- Try renting a rowboat. Get some exercise on the Hudson River or one of the local lakes by boat! Whether you kayak, row your own boat or try paddle boating, you are sure to get a workout!
- Miss swimming? Find an indoor pool. During the summer, swimming can be a great way to stay in shape. Fortunately, this could also be something you do all year long. At Kendal on Hudson, we offer an indoor heated pool for residents to enjoy all year long.
- Go for a bike ride. There are so many places to enjoy the sights and get good exercise. Grab a friend, find your nearest biking trail and get on the road to better fitness!
- Volunteer to do yard work for a local organization. Residents at Kendal on Hudson are constantly volunteering, as they believe it’s important to give back. Because they don’t need to maintain their own homes and yards, they have the opportunity to volunteer to help others who may need assistance!
Join us at Kendal on Hudson to discover all we have to offer during the fall season. Our residents enjoy a wide range of programming and activities and are consistently exploring the surrounding area. To schedule a tour, simply contact us today by calling 914-922-1000.
Together, Transforming the Experience of Aging.®
Founded on Quaker principles and guided by our values and practices, Kendal® on Hudson provides a vibrant, active and social senior lifestyle on our 25-acre campus next to the historic Hudson River. As the only Lifecare community in Westchester County, we offer four levels of service for our residents: Independent Living, Assisted Living, Memory Support and Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Services.
Kendal on Hudson is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization led by a volunteer Board of Directors. Kendal on Hudson is an affiliate of The Kendal Corporation, a system of communities and services for older people based in Kennett Square, PA. We support diversity, inclusiveness, and independence and support the values and practices of Kendal by remaining focused on healthy aging. Located in Sleepy Hollow, New York, just 35 miles from New York City, we offer a vibrant lifestyle, cultural programs, continued learning and health care for life.
For more information, please call 914-922-1000.