As older adults age, the desire to explore and experience new things tends to increase. There’s so much to see and do, an array of places to explore and a plethora of things to learn. At Kendal® on Hudson, we understand that, so we’ve created a unique way to learn about – and experience – other communities and their surrounding areas.
“At Kendal on Hudson, we want to transform the experience of aging, and by creating new ways for older adults to experience more, we accomplish just that,” says Jean Eccleston, CFO of Kendal on Hudson, the only true Lifecare community in Westchester County. “With our Home Swap program, current residents can temporarily exchange homes with other residents living in our communities, giving them a first-hand look into new places, environments and people.”
Benefits of the Home Swap Program
The Home Swap program immerses residents into the swap community, giving the benefits that the host experiences to the guest, offering a wide range of benefits. Some of these include:
- Experiencing a new town or state. Considering a visit to Chicago? Want to tour Washington, DC? See the autumn leaves in New Hampshire? With Home Swap, you can do this easily. From dining, shopping and monuments to the arts, parks and more, there is so much to explore. Choose from one of our many communities and enjoy their local attractions, including:
- The Admiral at the Lake in Illinois
- Collington in Maryland
- Kendal at Ithaca in New York
- The Lathrop Communities in Massachusetts
- Kendal at Hanover in New Hampshire
- Kendal at Oberlin in Ohio
- Kendal at Lexington in Virginia
- Meet new people. Never stop growing your list of friends and connections. Traveling to other communities can allow you to build more professional connections, take on new volunteer opportunities and find others with similar journeys and values.
- Discover what other communities offer. With an array of resident committees, programs and outings, no community is alike. What you experience at one community, you aren’t likely to experience at another. One thing is for sure, unique opportunities and people abound.
Commonly Asked Questions about the Home Swap Program
It’s easy to take advantage of this exciting program, but it can help to learn a little more first. Some of the most frequent questions we receive include:
- How long can I stay and when can I visit? However long you and your host agree upon. If agreed upon, you can even choose differing swap dates. For example, if you’d like to visit for a fall festival, but your host would like to visit Kendal on Hudson during the summer to take advantage of the parks, as long as arrangements can be made, this is allowed. You may also agree to use each other’s vehicles to explore the community.
- Can guests accompany me? As long as it is agreed upon by your host, visitors may accompany you. With prior approval, they may also stay with you.
- Will care be available? Those participating in the swap will not have access to health care services. To learn more, ask to see the terms of participation.
- Who will care for my pet? If you have a pet you are not taking with you when you swap, or if you will not be boarding them, make sure that your guest is aware and knows that care is expected. Many find that caring for another’s pet is a fun and therapeutic opportunity; however, it may not be a good fit for all. Make sure this is noted and agreed upon.
- How are meals arranged, since dining prices differ? During the swap, meals will be offered at the lowest rate to reduce cost to you. Unfortunately, because prices differ, meal swapping is not allowed. However, while you are visiting another community, away-meal credits will be offered because of your absence, allowing you to use those meals at another time.
For more information about the Home Swap program, or to learn more about the exciting opportunities Kendal on Hudson has to offer residents, contact our team. We would be happy to show you how we can enhance your life, allow you to experience the life you deserve and discover the retirement of your dreams. Simply contact us today at 914-922-1000.
Together, Transforming the Experience of Aging. ®
Founded on Quaker principles and guided by our values and practices, Kendal® on Hudson provides a vibrant, active and social senior lifestyle on our 25-acre campus next to the historic Hudson River. As the only Lifecare community in Westchester County, we offer four levels of service for our residents: Independent Living, Assisted Living, Memory Support and Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Services.
Kendal on Hudson is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization led by a volunteer Board of Directors. Kendal on Hudson is an affiliate of The Kendal Corporation, a system of communities and services for older people based in Kennett Square, PA. We support diversity, inclusiveness, and independence and support the values and practices of Kendal by remaining focused on healthy aging. Located in Sleepy Hollow, New York, just 35 miles from New York City, we offer a vibrant lifestyle, cultural programs, continued learning and health care for life.
For more information, please call 914-922-1000.